Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chicken-Scratch-Saturday: Family Tree Skirt

This is another Christmas idea I got years ago, and again I quote Family Fun as my maybe source.

It is our tree skirt for our Christmas tree.

I don't have the instructions for it, but it was pretty easy no-sew project. You just cut out a tree skirt shape out of any heavy fabric you like (I used a green velvety-type). It's basically a great big donut with a slit cut from edge to center. If you need to, just use your existing skirt as a pattern.

Then you turn the edges under and glue them with some tacky glue or hot glue. Glue on some rick-rack for trim, if you'd like.

Then pick some fabric paint that will contrast nicely with the material you used. Pour some onto a paper plate and coat each family members hands, one set at a time, and help them press their hands onto the fabric in pairs around the edges. You can go back later and touch up empty spots with a paintbrush if needed.

Have each person in the family write their name on a piece of tracing paper. Cut out each name so it's a workable, stand-alone square piece of paper. Then on the back of each name, squeeze some good old-fashioned Elmer's glue on the letters, tracing each letter just as the child wrote it. Press this onto the tree skirt just above or just beneath their handprints, pull up the paper, and sprinkle with glitter so you've covered all the glue-letters. Repeat with each person's name.

Finally, write out the year on the skirt with the glue, and sprinkle glitter over that, as well.

Pretty simple, and yet this is maybe the one thing I'd run back into the house for if my house was burning down.


Here is a picture of ours. Pay no attention to the dog and cat hair.
















(Names blacked out)

Ours has the year 2001, because that was the year I made it, but then when Bella joined our family in 2003, I added that year. James and Julie's handprints were added six years later, but I still have to go back and write in their names and the year.
 
I'll get to it.

No really, I will.


Let me know if any of you end up making this, and show me a picture!



*********************


Don't forget to vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs! Just click on this brown button with the juggling chick. You can vote every day till like, forever.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!

Thanks!


***************

In case you didn't know it, I'm like the queen of blog-hoppin' lately. It's kind of like square dancing but without the dated outfits, smelly gym, and elderly caller.

Since today is Saturday, that means I'm linking up with:

Camera Critter's Life With Dogs Pet Blogger Hop
Tutus and Tea Parties' Pinteresting Party

Check out my full schedule over in my sidebar.

Come join the fun!

*************

Rudeness disclaimer:

I love all your comments,
I read every one!
But I can't hit 'reply',
I've no time for fun.
Please don't judge me,
Please don't hate.
If you have a question that just can't wait,
Send me an email at farmbeachgal@yahoo.com,
And I'll answer right back because I'm, you know, the Mom.

11 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I love it!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great idea! My family always just had a plain green store-bought tree skirt, but this could really help personalize the tree. Very crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Would love it if you would share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, and for the lovely comments, ladies! Kathryn, will def check you blog hop out. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a meaningful tree skirt! So great that you have been updating it over he years.
    Thanks for visiting Peaches and Bees. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Full of precious memories!
    Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library.

    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!
    Thanks for joining my Bloghop
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you on the Share the Love Blog Hop... Nice tree skirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the this idea for a Christmas tree skirt!
    Have a great day!
    Janice
    Share the love blog hop
    http://jaybeachambers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea and a family favorite keepsake. Thanks for sharing this at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything that is homemade, personal and includes the kiddos! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...