Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Coffee Clatch

Here's a little somethin' I posted on my old blog a while back. Thought I would dust it off and post it here....

*******










I have coffee with friends on Friday mornings. It's the highlight of my week, quite frankly. To talk with adults, as adults, when day in-day out you're surrounded by parasitic humans with a poopload of demands on you is a treat worth savoring.


But we haven't always enjoyed this companionship liberated from our children. In fact, when we first met, it was through our local MOMS Club. We all wore similar shell-shocked expressions as we shuffled through the meeting room of the church, one whining toddler clinging to our legs, one screaming infant slung across a hip, our boobs swollen and sore, bags under our sleepless eyes, but yet with a Barbie smile plastered across our faces that said to the world, "Holy crap, I'm really enjoying this!"

Truth be told, our conversations today still fall under the same categories they did so many years ago, but the subtext has changed.....

2012  (Sipping coffee) Hey Sarah, how's it goin'? Oh my God, I love your new bag...
2000 (Wiping up juice)....diaper bag. Where'd you get it?
2000 Oh, thanks, you like it? I got it at Babies-R-Us.....
2012  ....TJ Max. It's kinda small but it holds what I need. Look, it's got
this cool little compartment that holds my i-pod.....
2000 .....poopy diapers. And I love the size. It was the biggest one there.


2000 Hey Theresa, will you be coming over for Story and Craft on Thurs morning...
2012  ....wine and cheese on Fri night? NOOOO, leave the kids at home, have you lost your friggin' mind....
2000 .....day planner? Don't you remember? Third Thurs of every month is Story and Craft. Second Thurs is Gymboree and fourth Thursday is Toddler Time at the library.



2000 Hey guys, I was just at a Creative Play demonstration and I bought the most fantastic thing for Johnny. It's designed for babies 6 - 9 mths of age and it enhances their depth perception, tracking, and gross motor coordination. I know I spent too much but I'm sure it will be worth every penny....
2012 .... of his allowance goes to video games. I used to moderate what he played more, but honestly? If he's quiet? I almost don't care if he rots his brain.


2000 Thanks for asking, it was a big hit. She just loved the princess party. I made each of the guests a princess skirt from pink tulle and they made wands and tiaras for the craft and the cake was a huge castle. They loved the pony rides, too. It's not every day a little girl turns three, right?
2012 So he's asking if it can be a boy-girl party and they wanna hang out in the basement so they can "play video games", haha. I swear he thinks I just crawled out from under a rock or something.


2000 Guess what, his tooth finally came in! We were all just so excited when...
2012  I felt around in my mouth and can finally feel all my teeth again. I'm so glad I sprung for that implant. I hated having a hole where my tooth should've been.



2012  Sue, on your shoulder. You've got some omelette...
2000 ....vomit on your shirt.







*****************


Don't forget, I will love you forever if you throw me a vote on Top Mommy Blogs. You know the drill by now, don't you? Just click the juggling chick and you've voted. You can vote every day till like, forever.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!

Thanks!


***************

In case you didn't know it, I'm like the queen of blog-hoppin' lately. It's kind of like square dancing but without the dated outfits, smelly gym, and elderly caller.

Here's the schedule I keep:
Monday: Homestead Revival's Barn Hop and A Cat-Like Curiosity's Monday Mantras.
Tuesday: Heavenly Homemaker's Gratituesday
and Wrinkled Mommy's Tuesday Archive Link-Up
Wednesday: My Life and Kids Finding the Funny
Thursday: A Rural Journal's Rural Thursday Blog Hop
Friday: Deborah Jean's Dandelion House's Farmgirl Friday
Saturday: Camera Critter's Life With Dogs Pet Blogger Hop and Country Momma Cooks Saturday Link-Up

Since today is Saturday, that means I'm linking my post "Meat-n-Greet"
with Country Momma Cooks Saturday Link-Up, and with Camera Critter's Life With Dogs Pet Blogger Hop.
Come join the fun!

19 comments:

  1. HAHA - very clever and so very true how topics change over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topics haven't changed a whole lot, but the subtext sure has!
      Thanks for stopping by, Debbie!

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! and so true! I was a single girl in the big city 10 years ago so mine would be very different too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like night and day, I'll bet, Penelope! Thanks for coming by....

      Delete
  3. Anne,
    I can't tell you how close to home this hit! My (now 12 years old) son came running in to the room to see why I was laughing so hard! Thanks for the giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work here is done. Heehee!

      Thanks so much, Kim, glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. Getting together with friends is definitely a treasure. TALU to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to look back and see how things were back then compared to now! :)

    Stopping by from TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha so cute! Thanks for the smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was SO funny. A girlfriend and I have boys the same age. Both were born in 2004. When we get on the phone now, sometimes our conversation isn't about them at all. Wow! My favorite was about the teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha = loved this, even the 2nd time around. I noticed your celebrity endorsement in your sidebar. You go woman - that is awesome. LOL
    I'm still trying to get Taylor Hicks to send me a picture of him holding a Wrinkled Mommy sign. So far he is completely ignoring me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO very true and hilarious. I must say I enjoy today's conversations MUCH more than those back in 2000 (of course I think I was heavily medicated on Mommy's little helper back then just to make it thru the toddler years).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all my commenters for dropping by! And Debbie, Taylor Hicks? Is that the best you could come up with? You and I need to talk...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the blended conversations. So clever and real. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you on the mommy brain mixer this week! Following and commenting from http://fluffimama.blogspot.com/
    I hope you'll come check me out and do the same. Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are funny. :)

    Happy weekend to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes..how true...
    but it gets even better after 50! party party party, today we had drinks at LUNCH!...text the kids in between them to see how they are doing in their jobs..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks guys! Glad you liked.
    Have a great w/e!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...