Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Easy V-Z

I had to drive Rosie down to her soccer game in Dover on Sunday, about an hour and a half from home. Fred set up my VZ Navigator on my phone prior to the trip for me (I hadn't used it before) so I could find my way more easily.

I faithfully followed her instructions on the way down, but I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. I thought Veezy (I say her name like Weezy) took me kind of a long way around. Plus she took me through Newark right in the middle of a March-of-Dimes Walk-a-Thon and I had to wait not once but twice for masses of people to cross the street. Not her fault, mind you, because how could she have known, but I'm just sayin'.

So on the way home I set her up to direct me back, but decided I might tweak things a bit and try a few tricks of my own. She was not pleased. Here is the playback:

VZ: Prepare to turn left in .... point .... 4 .... miles.
VZ: Turn left now.
Me (continuing straight)
VZ: ..... Recalculating route.
VZ: Prepare to turn right in ......point ..... two ..... miles.
Me (turning left)
VZ: ..... Recalculating route.
VZ: Prepare to exit in .... point ..... three ...... miles.
VZ: Exit now.
Me (continuing straight)
VZ (through clenched teeth): ......Recalculating route.

This went on for awhile, with me doing my own thing, and Veezy getting increasingly more irritated with me. I finally noticed that I wasn't getting any more verbal instructions and I looked down at the screen. It said: "You are off route. Would you like to start a new route?"

That's right. She had stopped speaking to me. Reckon I pissed her off. I guess it could have been worse, she could have gotten nasty with me. Prepare to go to hell ..... now.
Bottom line, I got home in way better time than she got me down to Dover.
Maybe I should get her some chocolate in case I need her to help me out again in the future. But I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...