Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Where do the Amish go....?



Question: Where do the Amish go for relaxation?
Answer: Apparently, to my place.

Driving home from some errands this morning I saw an Amish horse and buggy hitched up to my fence and a small herd of Amish parents and children in my lower field. I knew today was a holly-Holy-day for them (Ascension Day), but the sight took me aback. My neighbor Henry and I had talked a couple years ago about the kids coming over to use our pond whenever they wanted to go fishing or skating. But this was not just the kids, but a couple dozen be-bonneted and be-hatted folks picnicking and fishing.
It's a lovely sight, really. As I sit at my computer writing, I can look out my window and see a little girl sitting in her Daddy's lap, another Dad helping a few kids with baiting and casting, a granny camped out in a folding chair, wagons, picnic baskets, and a Mom sitting on a cooler doing cross-stitch.

Perhaps I should think about turning my place into an exclusive Amish retreat. I could call it Plain and Fancy. Or Amish at Ease.

Taking suggestions .....

1 comment:

  1. Love this picture! Actually I thought Amish Acres would be a good name, but it was already taken! Oh, well...I can't think of better people to have as neighbors.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...